Friday, March 14, 2014

Tishomingo State Park

We closed up Spring Break week by going to Tishomingo State Park. I hadn't been since Korban was just a baby, which is kind of shameful. The kids were super excited and my mom got to go with us too. (Brad had to work. The kids were bummed. I'm gonna assume Brad was too.) 

I packed a big, yummy picnic lunch. The weather was pretty today but the wind was really kicking!  As in, my plate of Chinese coleslaw blew away. Which was a shame, because I really like that stuff. Would've been a good day to fly a kite. Pity I didn't think of that beforehand! 

Anyway, the park was beautiful and you guys already know I think my kids are beautiful, so here's some pics: 

Here's Korban keeping watch over our picnic groceries. He was Bob the Builder today. :)

Here's the kiddos at the end of the swinging bridge. For those who may not know, Tishomingo State Park has a beautiful old wooden swinging bridge. It's very lovely but I didn't get any pics of us actually on it because 
A) The only barriers between you and a very steep drop into the water is widely-spaced steel cables that a child could easily slip through so I was busy making sure that didn't happen and suppressing a panic attack. ;)
B) Halfway across, Korban decided he wanted to toss his beloved hardhat into the water; and I couldn't let that happen because as soon as he threw it he would want it back and would attempt to go in after it. Pause in middle of large swinging bridge for mini-meltdown. Squelch panic attack and move on. 
C) Right before we set foot on said bridge my mom told me that she had recorded an episode of Dr. Phil for me in which Dr. Phil fixes a kid with behavioral problems--turned out all the kid needed was for people to never raise their voice at him or spank him. He didn't have behavioral problems, he was just scared of people. Had to take a mental time-out and file that one in my imaginary filing cabinet right next to the advice from Dr. Oz. The drawer has a label that says "Things Melissa Gives Zero Cares About."

Ok, so no pics of the pretty bridge. Let's move on, shall we?  ;)

Korban looks like he's doing some serious thinking, doesn't he?

In case anyone is wondering, Selah's toy is a stuffed Dachsund a friend gave her. She adores it and named it Hundley after the Dachsund "lobby dog" from Curious George (her current favorite cartoon.) Hundley seemed to enjoy today too. 

Selah walked across this log like a circus bear...

...while Korban took a safer approach. 

"Let's go this way!" 

"Are we lost?"

Selah is always happy to have sand to dig in. 

They are investigating a leaf with a hole in. Selah found it and told Korban she thought a hungry caterpillar had been eating on it. 

These little bridges weren't nearly as scary as the swinging bridge, which is why I have pictures of them. ;)

This picture sums us up pretty well. I'm talking to Korban and check out his expression. He's like "what in the world is she yammering about?  Ha!

Korban found a swing, which always makes him happy. 

Selah built another volcano. 

We even found a bear!

Giddy-up!!!

The kids and Nana. 

Me and my babies. 

We give today a big thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment